The Task Force shall review the proposal by the Kinder Morgan Tennessee Gas Pipeline Company LLC to install a Natural Gas Pipeline known as the Northeast Energy Direct (NED) Project that will traverse across approximately 3.1 miles of public and private property in the Town of Milford. The project has been filed with the Federal Regulatory Energy Commission (FERC) as Docket # PF14-22-000 and is expected to be filed with the New Hampshire Site Evaluation Committee (NH SEC) as established by RSA 162-H.
RSA 162-H was established to balance the impacts of site selection on the welfare of the population, private property, location and growth of industry, economic growth, the environment, historic sites, aesthetics, air and water quality, natural resources and public health and safety. The SEC serves as a statewide planning board for energy projects to ensure that the construction and operation of energy facilities is treated as an aspect of land use planning in which all environmental, economic and technical issues are resolved in an integrated fashion. The SEC is comprised of the DES Commissioner, The DOT Commissioner, the DRED Commissioner, the Commissioner, Cultural Resources or Director of Division of Historical Resources and two Public Members, one of whom must be an attorney.
General Course of Action
The Task Force shall evaluate available information on the NED proposed pipeline to see if the project complies with the NH Site Evaluation Committee’s goals and that the project will not have an unreasonable adverse impact on the Town’s aesthetics, welfare of the population, economy, infrastructure, historic sites, air and water quality, the natural environment and public health and safety.
- Identify the various policies and goals identified by the Town and the Nashua Regional Planning Commission as detailed in Master Plans and/or Zoning Ordinances. The Task Force should also identify the specific districts that are established to meet those goals and priorities, i.e. the Aquifer Protection Overlay District, Wetlands Conservation Overlay District, etc.
- Study the hydrological and/or hydrogeological impacts on wetlands and drinking water sources in the Town.
- Study the impacts on forestry, scenery and the rural character on the Town.
- Study the economic impact both in the form of harm and benefit to residential property owners, businesses, and the overall economy for the Town.
- Study the impacts of the project on Historic Districts and historic sites for the Town.
- Study the impacts on transportation, bridges and road systems in the Town.
- Study the impacts on Town safety, security and emergency response systems.
- Monitor the NH SEC permitting progress and provide updates to the Board of Selectmen.
- Provide regular reports to the Board of Selectmen on the progress of the Task Force and its recommendations. The Task Force Final Report will be submitted no later than six months from their first meeting.
The Task Force will be comprised of one member from each of the following:
• Planning Board appointed by the Planning Board Chairman
• Conservation Commission appointed by the Conservation Commission Chairman
• Heritage Commission appointed by the Heritage Commission Chairman
• Traffic Safety Committee appointed by the Traffic Safety Committee Chairman
• Economic Development Advisory Council appointed by the EDAC Chairman
• Two residents appointed at large by the Board of Selectmen at their next regular Meeting scheduled for February 9, 2015. One resident should be in favor of the pipeline and one opposed to the pipeline.
• Town Administrator
Town staff will provide support and assistance as needed.
Pipeline Task Force Committee Meeting Schedule | 6:30pm - 8:30pm
Wednesday, March 11th Community Development Conference Room
Wednesday, March 18th Board of Selectmen’s Meeting Room
Wednesday, March 25th Board of Selectmen’s Meeting Room
Wednesday, April 1st Board of Selectmen’s Meeting Room
Wednesday, April 8th Community Development Conference Room
Wednesday, April 15th Board of Selectmen’s Meeting Room
Wednesday, April 22nd Board of Selectmen’s Meeting Room
Wednesday, April 29th Board of Selectmen’s Meeting Room
Wednesday, May 6th Board of Selectmen’s Meeting Room
Wednesday, May 13th Community Development Conference Room
Wednesday, May 20th Board of Selectmen’s Meeting Room
Wednesday, May 27th Board of Selectmen’s Meeting Room