Conservation Commission 4th Saturday Hike
Please join us for the commission’s 4th Saturday Hike on August 24, 2013 at Monson Center. Monson is a 269 acre property owned by the Society For the Protection of NH Forests and managed by Russ Dickerman. There is limited parking on Adams Rd with a ¼ mile walk down Adams Rd to the trail system. A new parking area has been created just south of Adams Rd. Plan to meet at the parking area at 9:00 near the entrance gate. Dogs are welcome.
Monson Center is the remains of a settlement established in the mid 1700’s. By 1770, the townspeople of Monson petitioned to have their charter repealed due to “the Land in and about the Center of Monson is so very poor, Broken, Baron and uneaven, as cannot admit many Settlers….” In 1998 a 28 house subdivision was proposed for the 36 acre portion of the original Monson Center. A Save Monson Center campaign was successful in its efforts to raise money to purchase this historically valuable property. With Russ and Geri Dickerson donating 125 abutting acres, 30 acres donated anonymously and the purchase of 30 additional acres, a total of 221 acres were preserved. Come hike with the commission to view the cellar holes on the sites of some of the early settlers’ homes; the Nevins, Gould, Wallingford and Brown family homesteads. The property has a wonderful mix of hayfields, stone walls, hiking trails and a beaver pond. The Dickermans have restored a building on the site of the 1856 Gould House, where there is an exhibit of historical photographs and artifacts.
Directions – Coordinates: N 42° 47' 6.00", W 71° 37' 26.40"
Rt 101 bypass around Milford. Take the exit for Rt 13 South. First left onto Emerson Rd. First right onto Federal Hill Rd. After about 2.4 miles, dirt parking area is on the left. Please do not block the access gate when parking.