Incorporated in 1794

Origin: This town was incorporated in 1794 from portions of Hollis, Amherst, and the Mile Slip, a strip of land that fell between the Dunstable grant and the Raby (Brookline) grant. A section of Milford was known as the Duxbury School Farm, a thousand acres of land intended to support Duxbury, Massachusetts schools. The town was probably named for its location near a shallow water crossing on the Souhegan River by an early mill site known as the Mill Ford. Milford bears the nickname of the Granite Town in the Granite State, because of its extensive highquality granite quarries. At one time, Milford was a prime stop on the Underground Railroad.

Villages and Place Names: East Milford, South Milford, Richardson

Population, Year of the First Census Taken: 939 residents in 1800

Current Population: 15,200 (2012 estimate)

Milford Historical Society          Heritage Commission

The Granite Industry  |  The 30th Column  |  How Milford Came About  |  The Revere Bell  |  The Town of Milford Flag