Auto Registration Dog Licenses and Estimates

Auto registration begins at the Town Clerk's Office. To register your vehicle online, use the E-Reg service (your registration will be mailed to you).

New Registrations

  • If you are a new resident to the state you must obtain a NH Driver's license and Automobile Registration (plates) within 60 days of moving into the State. (NH RSA261:45 & NH RSA 263:35).
  • You will begin the registration process at the Town Clerk's office. It is required that you bring in proof of identification such as a driver's license and two (2) proofs of residency such as a current utility bill, closing statement on a new home, lease agreement, payroll check, etc.
  • You will also need to bring your out of state TITLE to the Town Clerk's office where your NH title application and registration forms will be prepared. At the Town Clerk's office you will pay a motor vehicle permit fee based on the list price. A state registration fee will be paid based on the GVW of the vehicle at which time you will receive your plates.

There are two exceptions to the above procedure - If your title is being held by a Lienholder, bring your current registration to the Town Clerk’s office along with the current mileage of the vehicle and the exact name and address of the Lienholder. A title application will be prepared by the Town Clerk’s office, which you will forward to the NH Title bureau. The Title Bureau will then swap a NH Title for the foreign state title with your Lienholder. You will not be able to register your vehicle until you receive a letter from the Title Bureau informing you that the title swap has occurred. An exception to this transaction is made when your current out of state registration and/or your automobile insurance will expire within 20 days of the day you come into the office. A sixty day registration can be issued in this circumstance, giving the State of NH time to obtain the out of state title from your Lienholder.

Renewal Registrations 

  • Residents must present current registration(s) for the vehicle(s) they wish to renew.

Transfer of NH Plates

  • In order to transfer plates from a currently NH registered vehicle, the first name must be the same, and it is mandatory, (RSA261:66), to have the current registration for that vehicle so it can be turned into the state upon transfer.

New Resident Registrations

  • New Residents from within the state must provide the current registration and proof of residency. New residents from out of state must provide the current registration proof of residency and the title or the lien holder information (name & address) for any vehicle.