This town was incorporated in 1794 from portions of Hollis, Amherst, and the Mile Slip, a strip of land that fell between the Dunstable grant and the Raby (Brookline) grant. A section of Milford was known as the Duxbury School Farm, a thousand acres of land intended to support Duxbury, Massachusetts schools. The town was probably named for its location near a shallow water crossing on the Souhegan River by an early mill site known as the Mill Ford. Milford bears the nickname of the Granite Town in the Granite State, because of its extensive highquality granite quarries. At one time, Milford was a prime stop on the Underground Railroad.
Villages and Place Names
East Milford, South Milford, Richardson
Population, Year of the First Census Taken
939 residents in 1800
15,449 (2017 estimate)